Thanks to this post, we were reminded August is when Dublin became a city in Ohio. In honor of the its birth month, we’re taking a quick dive into its now 36-year-old history.
- Pre-1803: Native Americans were the first to live in what is now known as Dublin.
- 1803-1810: Ludwig Sells + his family settle in Historic Dublin and later establish a village.
- 1870-1905: While in Dublin, The Sells family created and managed the largest circus in the world at that time for 35 years.
- 1910-1970: Locals often described Dublin as a “poor farming town” due to vacant and dilapidated buildings.
- 1967-1972: Ashland Chemical Company relocates to Dublin, I-270 connects to the village, and Muirfield Village Golf Course opens.
- 1987: Dublin officially becomes a city thanks to more than a decade of business growth.
- Present: Dublin is home to 50,000+ residents and 4,300+ businesses.