Table of Contents
We’re kicking off our summer road trip series — Hit the Road — with an outdoor adventure-themed trip to Hocking Hills. With hiking trails and water adventures, this area is a great destination for experienced adventurers + novice nature seekers alike.
Before you start packing your bags, here’s everything you need to know about the area + our insider recommendations.
Drive time: ~1.25 hours
Avg. annual visitors: 5+ million
Avg. high in June: 83º
🥾Things to do
Explore Hocking Hills Region Parks
- Hike for miles on trails like Old Man’s Cave, Cedar Falls, and Rock House + enjoy scenic views with waterfalls, massive rocks, and greenery.
- Float in a tube along Hocking River, rent a canoe or pontoon boat + go fishing on Lake Logan, one of the top fishing lakes in Ohio.
- Feeling adventurous? Glide through nature and choose from ziplining experiences like Hocking Hills Canopy Tour + Valley Zipline Tours.
🍽️ Fuel up after hiking
Hungry Buffalo, 12762 Grey St.
- There’s a little bit for everyone here, like wings, steaks, burgers, and salads + you can reserve a spot to axe throw at the restaurant.
Shade Winery, 401 Gilkey Ridge Rd.
- Enjoy vineyard views while you sample wine by the glass + snack on a charcuterie board or entrees like salmon and flatbreads.
Brewery 33, 12684 College Prospect Dr.
- Sip on homemade, locally brewed beer and try rotating food trucks that come through every week. The brewery also has live music, outdoor games, a children’s playground, and a dog park.
- Located five minutes from Rock House, this brand-new cabin is made of two, 40-ft containers and is on five acres of scenic land. Equipped with a grill, arcade games, a fire pit, and hot tub, this modern spot sleeps six.
- Elevate your experience by sleeping 20-ft high in the trees on Goosecreek Road. This cozy cabin sleeps four + fills up quickly, so you’ll want to book in advance.
- If you’re traveling with a group, this cabin sleeps 16 and is only a half mile from Old Man’s Cave. The interior features woodwork, cathedral ceilings, and hardwood floors + the outdoor space has seating areas, a porch swing, hot tub, grill, and fire pit.