The end of May means the beginning of summer (which officially starts on June 21 but who’s counting), so that means it’s time to break out the bug spray, grill, and sunscreen.
It’s also time to figure out what your next pool or beach read is, so we’ve compiled five recently released reads by authors with ties to Columbus + Ohio to get you started.
- “Book Lovers” by Emily Henry | This romance follows a high-powered literary agent and book editor thrust together on vacation in a North Carolina town.
- “A Little Devil in America: Notes in Praise of Black Performance'' by Hanif Abdurraqib | Black performances throughout history are examined, from mid century Paris to right here in Columbus.
- “The Witness for the Dead” by Katherine Addison | A stand-alone sequel to a fantasy series exploring political games, power, and an ability to talk to the recently dead.
- “The Cape Doctor” by E.J. Levy | A Cork, Ireland girl must live as a man to enter medical school in this story of gender fluidity and complexity.
- “The Ballad of Laurel Springs” by Janet Beard | Ten-year-old Grace is confronted with her family’s violent past through Southern folk songs memorializing acts of violence against women.